UPDATED: Online backup solutions aren’t just for laptops anymore. The best modern enterprise cloud backup services are able to deliver complete backup & DR functionality for multi-platform server environments with data sizes up to 100TB and beyond.
Here’s a quick checklist of what to look for:
1. Performance – Performance is the Achilles heel of practical cloud backup in the real world. Test performance in your environment, the biggest mistake is to buy without trying.
2. Cost – Evaluations of cloud backup cost work best when the total costs are compared, not only the “teaser” price per-GB-per-month.
3. Security – Checking that data is encrypted in flight and at rest in the data center. Also look for audited data handling standards like SSAE-16.
4. Local backup capability – This is an obvious part of enterprise backup, a must have.
5. VM and Physical server backup capability – To be considered among the best enterprise backup solutions, a product should be able to backup both server types.
6. Disaster Recovery – This is why offsite backup is done in the first place. Best practice is to evaluate recovery performance during a trial period.
7. Archiving – Not the most critical component but large amounts of company data are never accessed, and storing it offsite frees up primary storage.
Below, I’ve made a list of what I consider to be the 25 most important backup services for business-class server backup.
Affordable enterprise-grade cloud backup, that’s faster than anything else out there, with backup stated backup speed up to 5TB a day. Includes online & local backup software, disaster recovery functionality, cloud storage, and plug-ins for SQL, Exchange, VMware, Hyper-V and NetApp servers.
The business-class counterpart to one of the world’s most popular low-cost backup solutions. Backing from EMC is a major plus or negative depending who you are.
Offering both free and enterprise backup solutions with support for VMware, Sun, Linux, Windows and Mac. Large enterprises have had good results for endpoint backup, less so for servers.
Online backup backed by a strong name, and trusted by a broad client base. Requires an appliance for data sizes >1TB.
Pricing and support is well reviewed, but “1TB per week” is too slow for even small enterprises.
Very popular with consumers for home backup, Carbonite’s server backup pricing is low, but performance is slow at “up to 100GB.”
Serious business backup service with support for many different operating systems.
Enterprise online backup from Venyu, helping to maximize both data protection and availability.
9. Novosoft Remote Backup
Online cloud backup that is easy, affordable, secure and practical. They also offer your first 5 GB for free.
An industry-certified leader in cloud backup and corporate disaster recovery.
Iron Mountain’s entry into the business online backup market.
Online backup from a talented and diverse group of entrepreneurs.
Helping ensure that your company is thoroughly prepared for even the most menacing of data disasters.
Advanced, full-featured backup service provider with a special focus on compliance.
A rapidly-growing innovator which has been providing online backup since 2005.
Fast, secure online backup with an established partner network.
Award-winning backup provider, recommended by VARs for over 10 years.
A trade-only cloud backup provider, built on a network of over 50 independent reseller partners.
The Canadian leader in online backup to the cloud, with a broad presence in the blogosphere.
Business backup with additional services built in, such as file storage, synching and sharing.
Years of experience in providing scalable data protection to companies of many different sizes.
Fast, reliable premium backup company that offers world-class support at no extra charge.
A premium data protection provider that offers a free product trial. They have a long list of clients and testimonials available.
Offering both cloud storage and IT services in the cloud, for a higher level of service.
Pure backup for service providers, businesses and individuals.